Clinical Ophthalmology (Auckland, N.Z.) | 2021

Brolucizumab in Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration – Indian Real-World Experience: The BRAILLE Study

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Abstract


Purpose To assess the short-term efficacy and safety profile of intravitreal brolucizumab injection in Indian eyes with neovascular age-related macular degeneration (nAMD) under real-world conditions. Patients and Methods This was a multicenter, retrospective chart review of 94 eyes of 94 patients with nAMD (treatment-naïve and switch-therapy) undergoing brolucizumab therapy. Re-treatment as per pro-re-nata protocol was performed based on fixed visual and tomographic criteria. The main outcome measures were changes in the best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA), intraretinal fluid (IRF), subretinal fluid (SRF), central subfield thickness (CST), and pigment epithelial detachment (PED) along with safety analysis. Results Of the 94 eyes, 20 eyes (21.3%) were treatment-naïve, whereas the rest 74 eyes (78.7%) underwent switch therapy. One hundred and twenty-six injections were given over a mean follow-up of 7.3 ± 2.2 (range 5–30) weeks. The BCVA improved significantly from 0.82 ± 0.5 LogMAR at baseline to 0.66 ± 0.5 LogMAR at the final visit (p < 0.0001). Significant reduction in CST was simultaneously noted (Baseline: 408.45 ± 65.63 µm; Final: 281.14 ± 37.74 µm; p < 0.0001). On qualitative analysis, resolution of subretinal fluid (SRF), intraretinal fluid (IRF), and pigment epithelial detachment (PED) was observed in 15.5%, 39.29%, and 23.81% of the eyes, respectively. The mean interval of repeat injection was 10.2 ± 2.1 weeks. Three episodes of ocular adverse drug reaction were reported, including two patients developing subretinal hemorrhage while one having a retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) tear. Notably, no intraocular inflammation (IOI) was seen in any of the eyes, and no systemic side effects were identified. Conclusion In a real-world scenario, brolucizumab therapy is efficacious and safe in the management of nAMD over the short term. Further long-term studies are warranted to validate these findings. Additionally, lack of ocular inflammation after 126 brolucizumab injections in our Indian data is peculiar and underlines the necessity to explore the role of race and genetics in predisposing to/safeguarding against brolucizumab-related IOIs.

Volume 15
Pages 3787 - 3795
DOI 10.2147/OPTH.S328160
Language English
Journal Clinical Ophthalmology (Auckland, N.Z.)

Full Text